Homemade Dog Food
2 lb Ground Turkey, Chicken, Lamb or Beef
1 lb Sweet Potatoes
1 lb Carrots
½ Cauliflower Head
1 lb Broccoli which includes the florets and the stalks
1 Bunch of Kale
Water for cooking vegetables 1/3 of pan size
1 ½ cups White Rice or Quinoa
2 ¼ cups Vegetable Stock
Quart or Gallon size Zip-loc Freezer Bags or 32oz Zip-loc plastic containers
Vegetable broth (comes from the juice you make when cooking your vegetables)
You can make your own vegetable stock separately if you like just make sure there are no onions in the stock mixture as onions can be harmful to dogs.
You can double or triple these ingredients if you wish to make larger batches.
Other vegetables you can use that dogs like are: Asparagus, Green Beans, Mushrooms, Parsley, Pumpkin and Zucchini.
- Get a large cooking pot and fill with a 1/3 of water and bring to the boil.
- Prepare your vegetables start with your sweet potatoes. peel and cut them into chunks and place in your food processor, chop into small pieces. Do the same think for the carrots and cauliflower.
- Place the prepared sweet potatoes in your boiling water. Then add your carrots and cauliflower. Let this boil for about 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking prepare your broccoli and kale in the same way and add this to your other vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes. Your total cooking time should be about 10 to 12 minutes as you don’t want to overcook the vegetables, but you definitely want them cooked and not to firm in texture.
- Once cooked place an empty large pan or bowl in your sink. Place your vegetable strainer on top of this pan or pot. Now pour the cooked vegetables into the strainer. Place the broththat is now in the pot below to one side. leave your cooked vegetables also to one side to cool down.
- Now prepare your rice or quinoa. Place the correct amount of vegetable broth in your pan, then place your rice or quinoa For every cup of rice, you will need 1 ½ cups of vegetable broth.
- Bring your rice to the boil and place on simmer for about 15 minuets.
- While your rice is steaming. Turn your oven on to 350.degrees
- Prepare your baking pan with your aluminum foil and baking paper and place your ground meet in the pan spreading it out evenly.
- When your oven has reached its desired temperature place your meat in the oven and cook until it is well-done. this should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once your rice is cooked take of hob and place to one side to cool down.
- Once your meat is cooked, remove from the oven and also leave to one side to cool down.
- When everything is feeling warm or cool to the touch. you can start mixing each ingredient together.
- First place your vegetables in a large mixing bowl, then add your rice or quinoa. Mix together well.
- Cut your meat up into small cubes and place in your food processor, grind until the meat is in small pieces.
- Add the meat to the vegetables and rice. Mix well together.
- Now is the time to get your Ziploc baggies or freezer containers to store your dog food. This really is a personal choice, I fill a Quart size bag to half full and that feeds my little fella about 5 meals. You can also fill a Gallon size to half full, that will give enough food for 1 week. Some people prefer using the plastic containers. This to me is all a personal choice.
- Once you have all your bags or containers filled you can now place them in your freezer. I always have one bag in the fridge that I’m using and another one thawing in the fridge once the first bag is half empty, this keeps everything nice and fresh.