Claire's Yummy Thanksgiving Stuffing
½ Loaf of bread cut into small pieces of ground up
(You can use whole wheat, multi grain or white)
10 sticks of Celery chopped into medium slices
2 Apples chopped into pieces
1 medium size Onion finely chopped
(You can use 4oz coconut oil for vegan)
4oz Dried cranberries
4oz chopped Walnuts
1oz finely chopped Fresh Sage
1oz Finley chopped Fresh Parsley
1oz finely chopped Thyme
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground Cloves
8oz Vegetable stock
8oz Madeira Wine
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Get a large bowl for mixing.
- Now get a large frying pan, place your butter in the pan and heat up until melted, once melted add your onions first, cook for 1 minute on a medium high heat then add your Madera wine bring this to a quick boil. Now add your celery, apples, lemon juice, sage, parsley Thyme, and ground cloves. Lower to a medium heat and gently sauté for a couple of minuets, enough time to allow all the flavors to blend together and for your celery and apple to be slightly cooked.
- Turn of heat leaving your ingredients in your pan and go to your mixing bowl.
- Place your chopped up bread into you mixing bowl then add the mixture from the frying pan into your bowl and mix well together. Add your salt and pepper to taste at this point.
- Now get your vegetable stock and slowly add a little at a time and mix into your stuffing mixture, this is the tricky bit as you don’t want your stuffing to be soggy, so I always add it slowly until the desired consistency is reached. You may not use up all your stock or you may need a little more it all depends on the type of bread you use. The goal is that the stuffing mixture is moist but not soggy.
- Once you are happy with your consistency.
- You can place your stuffing mixture in an oven proof dish and cook in the oven for about 30 to 45 minuets on gas mark 5, 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C until golden brown on the top.
- Now place to the side on a cooling rack, and warm up when you are ready to serve with your turkey.